Sunday 20 April 2008

Cottage Rental Website

This cottage rental site is a sister site to the first cottages website - it's a different look and optimised for different phrases, but it uses the same database.

Both were intended to drive affiliate commissions for me and the first site was doing really well, so I was hopefully that 2 sites would do great! This site didn't really pick up much traffic at first and I took my eye off the ball with both and traffic dropped because of the duplicate content filter (presumably) in Google.

I worked on this site and the traffic picked up quickly, now I'm working on a total refresh of the orignal site. The problem with both sites (at the moment) is that I take the database, build the sites using Perl on this machine and then FTP them. If the connection is unreliable, the FTP can fail several times and take hours to run. This means that I struggle to get the monthly updates done.

Going forward, I'll be loading the data straight to a database, which takes 5 minutes. From there I'll generate the pages, heavily depending on php includes to reduce the size of the file produced. There are a few other ideas for the refresh of both sites - should go well, but I'm keeping the ideas under my hat for now!

No comments: